The Portsmouth Napoleonic Society
'Over The Hills and Far Away'
Back Home Next

 

Home
Up

 

Ille d Aix:

 

The house of the Maritime Sub-Prefect Captain Casimir in Rochefort where Napoleon stayed from the 3rd to the 8th of July

 

The Monument at Fouras marking the spot Napoleon Left Mainland France on the 8th of July

The ferry to Ille d Aix at Fouras

 

The house on Ile d Aix in which Napoleon spent the 8th to the 15th when he surrendered to Maitland aboard the Bellerophon 

below are pictures from the interior of the house now a museum dedicated to Napoleon

 

     

 

Number 2 on the map is the position of the Museum 

 

The house was bought by Baron Napoleon Gourgaud (1891-1944), great grandson of General Gaspard Gourgaud (1783-1852), who was present when the Emperor left the Île d'Aix ,and who would follow him to Saint Helena. Thanks to his wife’s fortune, the rich American Eva Gebhard (1886-1959), Napoleon Gourgaud was able to acquire much historical memorabilia to which he added gifts that he obtained from his friends, many of whom were part of the nobility of the Empire. He opened his Napoleon Museum in the Emperor’s house in 1928, and gave it to the State in 1933 retaining a life interest.

On his death, in 1944, his widow continued his work, and when she died in 1959, the museum became part of the Musée National de Malmaison. Reorganised for the first time in 1970-1971, the museum displays were redesigned in 1994-1995. Each of its ten rooms focuses on a specific theme, retracing, as far as possible, the life of the Emperor and his entourage. Some rooms are devoted to the history of the Île d'Aix, the Gourgaud family and to the legend of Napoleon whose prolific exploits marked the 19th century.

https://en.musees-nationaux-malmaison.fr/musees-napoleonien-africain/a-napoleon-museum

 

 I

If you would like to see more pictures before we can get round to posting them or more info please send us an email and we will see what we have.

Home Up

Send mail to PNS1814 with questions or comments about this web site.
Copyright © 2005 - 2020 Portsmouth Napoleonic Society